Kunene River Lodge - A piece of paradise
Location & Description
Sited 50km west of Ruacana Falls and 100km east of the spectacular Epupa Falls, Kunene River Lodge nestles beneath a beautiful canopy of indigenous trees stretching down to the river.
The Lodge offers accommodation ranging from spacious deluxe air-conditioned rooms to rustic chalets and attractive campsites, all laid out in the tranquil shade of the Jackalberry and Leadwood trees.
In addition to its idyllic setting, facilities and in-house activities, the Lodge also serves as an ideal gateway for those setting out to explore the rugged and beautiful Kaokoland region of Namibia to the north-west. Indeed we can even offer you a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to explore it by river – where few have ventured before!
Whether your ambition is to take part in fun activities or outdoor adventures, to relax and take life easy, or anything in between, we aim to make every moment of your stay an unforgettable memory.
You wake to the chatter of the dawn chorus. See how many exotic bird species you can spot as you stroll around the Lodge, or enjoy a fascinating early-morning Birding Cruise on the river.
After a hearty breakfast, experience some of the finest White-Water Raftingin southern Africa with our resident guides, or try some gentler canoeing. Birders will want to seek out the elusive Cinderella Waxbill and other rare species such as the Angolan Cave Chat recently sighted nearby for the very first time in southern Africa.
There are opportunities for walking and 4×4 driving nearby, while the less energetic can take an escorted visit to a local Himba village, try their hand at fishing, or simply lounge around the pool.
After the heat of the day, freshen up, and relax in good company with a drink on the bar deck overlooking the river, or on a Sundowner Cruise, as you admire the spectacular beauty of the scenery and a breath-taking African sunset. Round off the day with a meal in our excellent Restaurant followed by a nightcap – and so to bed – for a well-earned rest and a good night’s sleep.
• Spacious Air-Conditioned Deluxe Rooms
The Deluxe Rooms overlook a substantial lawn surrounded by trees
and shrubs, near the secluded swimming pool set in its own lawn.
• A-Frame Rustic Chalets
Each Rustic Chalet is situated in its own beautiful plot, amongst the
lush trees and shrubs which characterise Kunene River Lodge.
Many of our camping Guests comment on the quality, cleanliness
and amenities of our campsites, most of which overlook the river.
Each type of accommodation is described in detail on the relevant pages, accessible from the menu bar above.
• Swimming Pool: In a secluded area of the grounds, our cool, clean swimming pool is set in a delightful lawn surrounded by luxuriant plants and trees. Here you can relax with a book on a lounger in the shade of a small lapa, get a tan on a lounger on the lawn, snooze in a hammock slung between trees – or even cool down with a swim.
• Restaurant: All meals are served on the deck overlooking the river, or inside, if it rains (rarely). Breakfast is self-service, Continental style or English (cooked to order), available between 07:30 and 09:00. Lunch and Dinner are available à la carte to Guests staying in the Deluxe Rooms or Rustic Chalets. Campers may also pre-book meals – subject to availability.
• Bar: Offering a wide range of wines, spirits and beers all day long.
• Deck: The Restaurant/Bar Deck overhanging the river is an excellent place to view birds while you breakfast, to spot wildlife in the river and on the banks during the day, to watch the spectacular sunset over the river with a drink or while you dine, or just to relax and slow down to the pace of the river gently flowing by.
• Lapa – Wi-Fi and Charging Points: Close to the Bar and Reception area, a small lapa overlooking the river, is equipped with comfy seats and provides access to the free wi-fi internet connection and charging points for electronic devices. Please remember, however, that Kunene River Lodge is located in an extremely remote area, so the internet service may not be quite up to the standard you would expect in a big city . . .